2016 - China Meets the World, The World Comes to China
overview of program
The inaugural Yenching Global Symposium was a student-led, three-day event with the theme of "China Meets the World; the World Comes to China." The symposium attracted thousands of applications and, ultimately, 192 delegates. The chosen delegates hailed from around 50 different countries and regions and included talented graduate students and accomplished young professionals from a wide range of fields.
During the 2016 Symposium, distinguished speakers and panelists led seminars, keynote speeches, and interactive sessions about China’s impact on the world and the influence that the world has on China.
The three-day event included prominent speakers such as:
- Ken Jarrett, President of the American Chamber of Commerce
- Kaiser Kuo
- Hervé Machenaud, Chief Representative and Chairman of EDF China
- Hannah Ryder, Head of Policy and Partnerships of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) China
- He Yafei, former Vice-Minister of the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Alexander Storozhuk, Head of the Department of Chinese Philology at St. Petersburg University
- Andrew Yan, Co-Founder & Managing Partner of venture capital fund SAIF Partners
- Fang Jun, Deputy Director-General of International Cooperation and Exchanges of the Ministry of Education
- Yuan Ming, Dean of the Yenching Academy
- Li Yansong, Vice President of Peking University.